Choosing an ideal chair mat for your office may be puzzling. With the limitless options and features, deciding on the perfect one can be daunting. But a chair mat is essential for your office, to make the workspace relaxing and to protect the floor or carpet from the abrasive damage caused by the roller blades of chairs.
To make this easier for you, we curated our list of top 10 favorite chair mats. Follow along to find out the mat that suits you perfectly!
Here, we reviewed ten chair mats but every one of them is intended to use on a carpet. If you are looking for a best chair mat for carpet for your need, hopefully you’ll find it here.
Top 10 Best Chair Mat for Carpet in 2020
1. Satrcounter office chair mat
- Weight: 7.13 pounds
- Size: 48x36x 0.13 inches
- Material: polycarbonate
- Provides good weight support. Can take up to 200 pounds of weight
- Works smoothly over rugs.
- The prongs or dents underneath hold the mat secured to the carpet. Thus, it does not move around, nor damages the carpet.
- High-quality and durable product. Polycarbonate structure gives a solid damage resistant build, preventing bending or curling from the corners or edges.
- Transparent look does not interfere with interior office aesthetics. Maintains a minimal and neat look.
- Helps the chair move swiftly over the rugs, without any tug or pull
- Ships flat, not rolled
- Not recommended for using directly over the floor. Only for use on top of a rug.
- Not advisable to put on top of hardwood floors either.
This resilient clear mat creates a smooth surface for the office chairs to move and roll easily on top of carpets. Unlike a lot of mats in the market, this mat lays flat on the carpet, does not curl up. That makes it so easy to roll the chair over it. The spikes under the mats hold the carpet and make a good grip. Oftentimes the curled-up edges of the mats and the studs underneath can poke the user’s feet and hurt while moving. This mat is devoid of that issue. The mat comes in decent size that allows enough space to move around. Additionally, this does not create any sink or dent on the surface due to the friction of the chair. Thus, determines the durability and long life. The chemically smell of the mat is very subdued and it wears off after a few hours of exposure. Thus, no issue with odor.
Tip: Clean only with water. Using chemical cleaners may crack the surface.
This is our top pick and currently the best chair mat for carpet considering usual surroundings.
2. Gorilla grip polycarbonate studded chair mat
- Weight: 6.54 pounds
- Size: 47.8x 35.8x 0.1 inches
- Transparent in color
- Studded underneath
- Polycarbonate material ensures no sink or dent on the mat
- The studs or spikes ensure that the mat does not move or slide
- Transparent, thus, works over any colored carpets.
- Thick and strong built. Delivers heavy-duty performance.
- They flatly ship the mats. It helps to prevent any possible structural damage. Besides, the mat is quite thick to be rolled.
mat is quite resistant to creating a spot for sinking in. This makes the chair move smoothly. The size is ideal
. The polycarbonate
build is rigid
and can provide good support
. But the spikes are not the strongest to give enough friction to make the mat stick to the carpet. The mat may slip and slide
occasionally. Nonetheless, it is a good mat that lasts a long time and delivers great performance.
It’s a heavy duty chair mat for carpet. A good choice for bulky and heavy chairs.
May lead to bis-phenol a (BPA) exposure, which the state of California identifies as a cause of birth defects or any reproductive harm. Visit www.p65warnings.ca.gov
for more information.
3. Floortex polycarbonate chair mat
High-quality and durable chair mat that provides easy slide. Polycarbonate build makes it a stronger performer than PVC mats.
- Weight: 10.05 pounds
- Size: 48x 53x .11 inches
- Rectangular mat with lip
- The chair wheels do not dent on the mat
- Transparent mat that does not interfere with the office interior
- Tough and durable mat that does not bend, curl, crack, or reek chemical smell
- Prevent carpet or floor damage.
- Has a smooth but anti-slip coating that is to be used on the hardwood floor.
- For carpet, the studded mats are a better choice for getting a good grip and no-slip.
- Easy-glide surface for swift movement with the chair.
This Floortex mat might seem surprisingly expensive, but it guarantees great performance. There is no denting
after using it for a long time. The grip
of the mat to carpet is excellent
, very comfortable to roll the chair around. The size of the mat is good. Does not crack or damage
easily. This does not weigh the carpet down
, keeping it plush and intact. Overall, this is an excellent mat for long term
Caution: Same as the previous one, check California’s proposition 65.
4. Dimex low-pile chair mat
- Size: 46x 60x 0.1 inches
- Weight: 16.76 pounds
- Material: PVC
- Comes with lip, thus better for placement.
- Specially designed for low piled carpets (thickness of ¼ inches). So, the weight is distributed on the carpet proportionately, does not put strains on the carpet.
- Does not reek of chemical odor. Also, non-toxic.
- Has a 1-year warranty.
- Transparent color suits any decor.
- Comes in rolled. So, needs a few days with weight on top to flatten it out.
- Creates slight dents after regular uses. This makes it hard to swiftly move the chair along.
This mat can be difficult to uncurl at first, but once it gets flat this gives a good grip over the carpet. But the stubs underneath can be a bit too harsh and there might be intense chemical odors.
It’s a perfect chair mat for thick carpets.
Caution: Check California’s proposition 65
5. Marvelux polycarbonate office chair mat
- Weight: 5.1 pounds
- Size: 5 sizes available (30×48, 36×48, 47x 53, 48×51)
- Material: polycarbonate
- No lip
- High impact mat for light/ medium/ heavy use. Suits on low/medium pile carpets.
- Smooth surface for easy gliding.
- Studded back that provides an excellent grip on the carpet.
- No harmful or toxic ingredient is used. Safe and environment friendly for everyone.
- Odorless mats, thus, does not make any uncomfortable situation.
- Two of the sizes (30×48, 36x 48) are shipped flatly.
This Marvelux mat works fine despite being packed rolled-up. It does not take time to flatten up and sits over the carpet very nicely without suppressing it down. The teeth of the mat underneath work well in terms of holding it to the carpet. It is durable and helps the chair to move at ease.
Different sizes available, if you are looking for a large chair mat; it’s a perfect choice for you.
Best office chair mat for carpet in imo.
6. Amazonbasics polycarbonate office chair mat
- Weight: 12.45 pounds
- Size: comes in 3 sizes (47x 59, 47×53, 35x 47 inches)
- Material: polycarbonate
- No lip
- High resistance, easy glide.
- Durable and heavy-duty mat.
- Appropriate for thick pile carpets.
- Does not curl up on the corners or edges.
- Has gripper studs to make it more skid-proof.
- Makes swift and relaxed movements of chairs, putting less strain on legs.
The rolled packaging of this mat does not cause any issue to flatten up after opening. In fact, it springs out soon after opening and flattens immediately. The teeth underneath the mat can be very sharp, thus, it is recommended to be safe while opening and adjusting. It is made of polycarbonate, giving it a durable body. Rolling the chair over the mat is very easy, does not cause any interference while working.
Tip: Clean without any chemical cleaner to prevent any probable damage.
7. Doublecheck products polycarbonate chair mat
- Weight: 8.75 pounds
- Size: 48x 36 inches
- Material: polycarbonate
- Studded for the grip
- Comes in with or without lip
- Sturdy and firm surface that can resist any dent or damage due to heavyweight.
- One of the thickest at in the market which means it lasts through heavyweight.
- Studded grips that hold the carpet and does not let skid.
- Free from phthalate and other toxins.
Con: Only meant to be used on a carpeted surface, not on the hardwood floor. But they have a model, especially for hardwood surfaces.
This durable and strong mat performs as it promises. The unbreakable claim is true. It does not create a crack. The build is thick and sturdy, made to last a long time. The mat makes rolling the chair over the carpet very easy. It does not have any odor which is a bonus.
Tip: Avoid cleaning with chemical components. It might weaken the surface of the mats.
8. ES Robbins Everlife chair mat
- Size: 48x 33 inches
- Material: Vinyl and thick plastic
- High performance and durable chair mat for smooth rolling.
- Shield carpets from tug and pull from the chair rollers.
- Holds the carpet firmly, ensuring skid-free sliding along the carpet.
- 0.2 inches thick mat for greater support and weight distribution to the surface, making it a good choice for heavy-piled carpets.
Con: Comes in rolled form. This can be a tough job to flatten it back to shape.
This mat for high-piled and plush carpets works efficiently. This delivers what it promises. This comes in rolled packaging. It should be left relaxed for some hours at room temperature so that it can uncurl slowly. This diminishes the risk of cracking. The mat helps the chair to slide through effortlessly. The thickness of the mat helps the weight to distribute evenly. The mat is durable, does not crack. The lip of the mat gives extra support and space for easy sliding of the chair.
9. Lorell tempered glass chair mat
- Weight: 38.6 pounds
- Size: Has 3 sizes (36, 50 and 60 inches)
- Material: Tempered glass
- Rectangle shape
- Scratch resting material. Lasts a long time.
- Durable and sturdy build. Can support up to 1000 pounds.
- Low maintenance, easy to clean up.
- Appropriate for use on top of the floor. Usually, regular chair mats are made for using on top of the carpets only.
- A cost-effective product that lasts a long time if taken care of properly.
- Works great on carpet too. Does not create a dent.
- Appropriate for long-term use. It does not create a dent or spot that makes it hard to move smoothly.
Con: Vulnerable to metal crash or anything that can break a glass surface.
Lorell’s solid performing chair mat is one of the best glass chair mats available in the market. This cost-efficient product ensures excellent utility out of it. This gives off a smooth platform to roll the chair. This does not yield any dent or crack, ensures a long-term usage out of the mat.
10. Clearly Innovative chair mat
With 15 years of experience, clearly innovative produces one of the best and high-quality chair mats in the market. These glass mats are durable, and the perfect investment for the users who believe in long-term purchases.
- Weight: 60 pounds
- Material: glass
- Size: comes in 7 different sizes
- Patented beveled-edge design that helps to create a smooth transition from the plain surface.
- Made of high-quality glass that delivers excellent weight division and smooth glide.
- Appropriate for use over any surfaces, with or without carpet. Can be easily used over plush carpets. Protects carpet from the tug of chairs and any scratches and scrapes from the floor surfaces.
- Glass-made mats make them durable.
- Great for using on the mixed surfaces as it works great on anything.
- Can resist weight up to 1000 pounds.
- Free of chemical smell or harmful toxic elements. Also, made from rapidly renewable silica sand.
- Transparent mat that adjusts with any background.
- Comes with a limited warranty.
This glass mat is very strong. Its beveled edge makes the transition to the carpets very smooth. Thus, helps the chair to roll around effortlessly. The mat is quite heavy. This can manage a hefty weight without creating damage or dent on the mat. The mat is very durable.
I saved the best one for the last. It is very pricey, that’s why cannot recommend it to most users. But if you do not mind spending more than usual, than it is the best chair mat one can get. Additionally, if you own high priced luxurious high pile carpets and cordially do not want it to be damaged by your chair – buy it. It is the best chair mat for high pile carpet.
Buyer’s Guide To Find Best Chair Mat for Carpet
- Determine the approximate size or area of coverage.
- Determine whether you need to buy with or without lip mats.
- Depending on the floor or carpet, decide how much grip you need from the mat.
- Choose the mat that is appropriate for use on your desired surface- floor or carpet.
- Check customer reviews from different websites before selecting a product.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why choose polycarbonate over PVC?
PVC mats are nowhere as durable as polycarbonate ones. Unlike PVC, polycarbonate build mats can withstand heavy weight without causing any dent on the mats. The thick and strong polycarbonate mats do not curl up from the corners or edges, thus helps the user to work in a relaxed mode.
These are also very curl-resistant, making them useful as a long-term purchase.
Why shipping flat is important?
The mats get bent if they are shipped rolled. It takes a lot of time to get the mats back into their flat, ideal state. Besides, it might also disintegrate the structure of the mats. So, it is better to choose the brand that ships flat.
What is the lip of a mat?
The narrower portion of some of the mats is called the lip of the mat. Not all the mats come with lips. Lip of the mat helps to adjust with the corners or narrow edge of a desk. This allows more coverage on the carpet even in the steep, narrow openings of a table or desk.
Lip or without lip?
It depends on the space you are taking the carpet protection on. If you place your chair on a much open and spacious area without much of a narrow edge, you might be comfortable a mat without a lip. In case you are placing your chair in a congested corner or you need more consideration on fitting to the narrow openings of a desk, you will need a mat with lip for the most surface for gliding.
All in all, we prefer polycarbonate chair mats for maximum utility. These are usually the most durable and lasts a long time than the PVC mats. PVC mats can also be harmful to health and the environment. But whatever brand you choose to buy, make sure you go through California’s proposition 65 before deciding on a particular product.
Besides the polycarbonate mats, we also like the strong and resilient outcome we get from glass mats. However, this has to be chosen for the appropriate work environment. Offices or workshops that include heavy metalwork, or any other heavy-duty production, the glass mats can be a bummer. They are sensitive to thrashing and may shatter if something heavy drops on them.
For polycarbonate mats, Star-counter and Gorilla grip is our apex choice. As per glass mats, both Lorell and Clearly Innovative are good options.
Find out: Best Leather Recliner Reviews